Thursday, August 30, 2007

Teaching Skills Learned By Parenting

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on how teaching has made me a better parent. Now (after an idea from one of my readers), I'd like to share my thoughts on how being a parent helps me to be a better teacher.

Being a parent reminds me as a teacher that children see things differently than adults do. I can remember as a kid at school learning about fire trucks. For some reason, I remember raising my hand and announcing to the class that a fire truck had visited my house the night before. I knew it wasn't true, but I did it anyway. Why? I suppose for attention.

Children simply view things in a unique way. Jesus even said in Matthew 18:4 "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (ESV) Many qualities of children are easily lacking in adults.

Secondly, I've learned that parenting has reminded me to be fun with my students. I like to see my students enjoy school. Every once in a while, my students get to play with shaving cream (yes, even fourth graders) or sit on their desks for games. Psalms 68:3 is a joyful verse. Teachers should be joyful and be fun!

Finally, I know I should be an example. I certainly should be an example to my students, just like I am as a parent. Jesus was a great example to follow. 1 Peter 2:21 says that Christ was example because no deceit was found in his mouth nor did he threaten others. Don't neglect the example of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment