Saturday, February 25, 2006

Farewell, Barney Fife

I'm sure you heard that Don Knotts passed away today at the age of 81. The Andy Griffith Show definately beats any of the sitcoms out there today. I still laugh out loud when I watch a rerun. Barney always had a way with words, even on the topic of parenting. Check these out:

Barney Fife: Well, today's eight-year-olds are tomorrow's teenagers. I say this calls for action and now! Nip it in the bud! First sign of youngsters going wrong, you've got to nip it in the bud.
Andy Taylor
: I'm going to have a talk with them. What else do you want me to do?
Barney Fife: Well, don't just mollycoddle them.
Andy Taylor: I won't.
Barney Fife
: Nip it! You go read any book on the subject of child discipline and you'll find every one of them is in favor of bud-nipping.


Barney Fife
: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy Taylor: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney Fife: A septic tank.
Andy Taylor: For their anniversary?
Barney Fife: They're awful hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy Taylor: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney Fife: I try.

4 comments:

  1. Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest! My other favorite episode is when the women prisoners escape; "Oh Berney!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if though I have lost a friend- Barney and Andy have put me to sleep every night for years- just knowing he is gone is somewhat sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite episode has to be the one with the pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the "loaded goat"

    ReplyDelete