Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Child

In previous blog devos, I've talked about Proverbs 22:6. In the first one, I discussed the word "train." Last time, I referred to the next word "up." Now, I'd like to share some thoughts on the next two words: "a child."

What does it mean to be a child? I remember studying several courses back in my OC and Freed days. While I learned much, my eyes weren't really opened until I became a teacher and a parent. You learn more about children when you directly deal with them.

Children see the world differently than we do. For one thing, children are innocent and pure. I like what Jesus says in Mark 10:13-16 (NASB)

13And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them.

14But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, "Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

15"Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

16And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them.

I believe that deep down inside, children have a strong desire to do what is right. However, this can be easily contaminated. The world arround them is corruptive.

As a teacher, I collect many funny stories in my profession. A few years ago, I was teaching when I glanced down and saw a picture on a students' desk. It was a picture of the male anatomy. I was shocked, so I collected it. I got the help of our counsleor to talk to the student. Our counselor talked with another student regarding the situation. She asked "Did you see what was drawn?" The student replied, "Um.... oh yeah. I saw that picture of the cool rocket ship!"

As parents, we need to help maintain purity in our children. Some things children shouldn't be exposed to until a fitting time arises. Raising children requires limits and boundaries, but the reward is important: an adult who loves and fears God.

No comments:

Post a Comment