Thursday, August 16, 2007

Parenting Skills Learned in the Classroom

During my 9+ years of teaching, I've learned that I've developed some skills to be a parent. After all, I've taught over 200 children in my career and have worked with many others. (Don't get me wrong, I have a lot to learn about parenting).

Here are some thoughts I'd like to share.


1) Patience is important. (James 1:3) It's hard being patient around children. Sometimes when I get asked the same question a dozen times and I had even written the answer on the board, I can feel my gray hair forming. It's crucial to understand that children don't see the world as adults do. (Matthew 18:4-5)

2) Speak Kindly (James 4:19, Proverbs 15:1, Philippians 2:14-16) It's so easy to say something and regret it later. I've learned (but don't always do) to phrase things positively. It's much more effective to say "Please take a seat" instead of "Get your rear in that chair!" Sure, the response may be the same but I believe it will even harder to get it again.
3) Consistency is vital. God is a great example of consistency as our heavenly father. He's not the author of confusion! (I Corinthians 14:33) Shouldn't we be consistent too as earthly parents? I am reminded of Matthew 12:25. Division is so easy not just between parents, but I think also in oneself. Have you ever found yourself punishing your child one moment, then ignoring the same behavior another?

4) Be positive. (Luke 6:27-31) While discipline and consequences are necessary, children should be rewarded too. I can't but help think of the parable of The Prodigal Son. I love this story because there are so many lessons to learn from it. When the son returns, that father is ecstatic. He runs to great him! When children learn from mistakes, we should be happy. Plus, a little celebration here and there goes a long way.

5) Tomorrow is another day. (Psalms 118:24) While we aren't promised a tomorrow, when we are given one we should make the best of it. I don't hold grudges against my students and they don't either. We should realize we'll make mistakes and to take the opportunity to fix them too.

6 comments:

  1. Tomorrow is another day or a few hours later because I usually can't remember! lol There's too much going on and I guess my focus is not on the bad behavior. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I am a mother of 3, and my middl e child is a fireball and sometimes wonder if we will make it through the day....thanks for your blog with the verses and the reminder of how to treat not only my kids but also others in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful! Your blog today is about how being a teacher makes you a better parent. Since Jess was born, I have been struck with the realization that becoming a parent is making me a better teacher. I have always known that every child is someone's baby, but now I feel that as well as know it. That may be clear as mud, but it's just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete