Thursday, March 02, 2006

Up

In my previous blog devo, I began a discussion on Proverbs 22:6. For the next part of my devo, I'd like to talk about the second word of the passage: up. It seems odd to only talk about one small word, but I believe there is much behind it. What are some things we can do to see that are children are upward bound?

First, we need to make Christianity a daily party of our family's life. How can we do this? I believe it begins with involvment with church. Notice that I didn't say "going to church." We know that missing the assembly leads to a slump and poor habits (Hebrews 10:26), but we also should realize that there is more than this. Luke warm Christians only go to church. We want to be Christians that are on fire for God. When we have that passion in serving God, then he is always #1.How involved are you? Do you participate in youth activities or young adult gatherings? Do you support programs like Lads to Leaders or Bible Bowl? Do you serve others? Do you visit the sick, elderly, or those in prison. (This is something I need to do more of.) Getting kids involved early will lead to upward growth.

Of course, we need to take a step back. Should parents rely on the church to give their children their spritual growth? Absoultely not. The responsibility falls upon the parent. Parents should teach their children about God and help them learn about His love.

Parents need to praise and encourage. I Thes 5:11 is a simple verse that reminds us to encourage one other. I was blessed to come from a family that encourages me. They still do. Plus, my in-laws uplift me too. Parents today should be their child's greatest cheerleader. Whether it be with school work or extra-curricular activities, praise must be there

As parents, we should be there even when our children fail. I know there will be times when my children will let me down and fall. While I'll be disappointed in their actions or choices, I will still love them and do everything I can do to bring them back up. I once heard someone say that help from parents is not a "hand me down" but a "hand me up." How true. I can't but help think of the story of "The Prodigal Son." (Luke 15:11-32)

Finally, to see upward growth in our children, there must be limits and boundaries. There is a terrible battle being fought right now between what is Godly and what is worldy. We need to raise children that choose God's standards. Children need to have guidlines to follow. Children should be shown by example and teaching of what is public behavior and dress. Children should be aware of the garbage that is on TV and movies. Children should know that drugs and alcholol should be out of the picture. Children should know that sex is something beautiful in marriage and marriage only. Parents have the charge to teach children not to stray, but stay focused on moving forward.

So what do you think? What else can we do to help our children (or future children) go up?

3 comments:

  1. Well I am not even close to being an expert on this subject and know that I have A LOT to learn, but I think all of your comments were great. Parents have to be involved in their kids lives and know what is going on. I was raised by very supportive parents. They did not just drop me off at church activities but they came with us and were involved too. We prayed together and studied the Bible together. I saw my parents reading their Bibles and heard them talk about God like they had a relationship with Him. They were the main example of Christianity to me. Plus I saw my friends parents involved and heard their concern for all of us to grow up in the church. If a parent doesn't show any interest then it will not be very important to the child. Parents can kid themselves and think that their actions do not affect their children, but kids are watching everyone around them, especially their parents! Uninvolved parents is one of my biggest pet peeves! Some parents will take their kids everywhere but church and church activities. Then when the child is 15 they wonder why they have lost interest in the Church! When it is what they have been teaching them all along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie for your great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post

    ReplyDelete