Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Can I Have Your Attention

Back at the Lads to Leaders convention, I noticed something very odd. I was at one of our kid's speech competition. He had just did his speech and did an oustanding job. Suddenly, I heard something like a radio broadcasting a football game. "That was odd," I thought. Then I looked behind me and noticed that a boy was playing his PSP!

It didn't end there. We went to the Sunday morning worship service that is held at the end of the convention. There were over 7,000 people there which was pretty neat. I had to walk out with Levi who was restless. As I left, I saw three different kids playing their Nintendo Gameboys. You know, I like playing video games. It's what keeps me occupied when I ride my exercise bike. However, should kids being playing them during worship? I don't think so.

Of course, adults are just as guilty of not giving their full attention to God. How often have you daydreamed during a sermon of what you were going to eat for lunch or what you needed to do later that day? I know I have.

Let keep our minds focussed on God. Let's show our children how to keep their minds on God.

Genesis 4:3-7 (ESV) - "In the course of time Cain brought to the LORD an offering of the fruit of the ground, 4and Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and his offering, but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his face fell. The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? 7If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."

1 comment:

  1. Thank You! I am glad to see someone else feels this way! My two youngest children get so mad at me because they want to take a toy to worship. They can read, so they are definitely old enough to sing using the song book, and even write down scripture that the preacher gives. Of course adults are just as bad. Last Sunday night a lady answered her cell phone in the middle of worship! Where has the respect for our Lord gone too?

    ReplyDelete