Thursday, January 04, 2007

Back to Work

Tomorrow I return to work. The students return on Monday. I've had a nice two weeks of vacation. It hasn't been this long for three years.

Some people say that teachers don't have real jobs. I disagree. True, we get a lot of days off. However, we also put in a lot of extra time deal with a lot more than just teaching. Anyway, you may have seen this before:

Teahcers Get Paid TOO Much!

Teachers get paid TOO much...I'm fed up with teachers and their hefty salary schedules. What we need here is a little perspective.

If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers myself-I'd pay them babysitting wages. That's right-instead of paying these outragous taxes, I'd give them $3 an hour out of my own pocket. And I'm only going to pay them for fivehours, not coffee breaks. That would be $15 a day. Each parent should pay $15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their child. Even if they have more than one child, it's still a lot cheaper than private day care.

Now, how many children do they teach every day-maybe 20? THat's $15x20=$300 a day. But remember, they only work 180 days a year! I amnot going to pay them for all those vacations! $300 x 180=$54,000. (Just a minute, I think my claculator needs new batteries.)

I know now you teachers will say-what about those who have 10 years experience and a master's degree? Well, maybe (to be fair) they could get the minimum wage, and instead of just baby-sitting, they could read the kids a story. We could round that off to aobut $5 an hour, times fivehours, times 20 children. That's $500 a day times 180 days. That's $90,000...HUH?!?

1 comment: