Sunday, February 12, 2006

Blog Devo #1

You've probably noticed that the title of my blog is based on Proverbs 22:6. It is the most recognizable verse in the Bible that deals with parenting. I thought I'd share my thoughts on it in a series of blog devos.

The first word of the verse is "Train." When I hear this word, I think of an athelete. The olympics have recently started and I'm sure they all have coaches by their side to encourage their training. No athelete can make it without some work out. The same applies to children. No child will make it in the word without being taught, trained, and molded.

This training must be often and consistent. It ranges from small things like manners and self control. It also involves the big things: learning about God and his mighty power. Deut 6:5-7 says "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up." I'll get into this more when I reach another part of Proverbs 22:6, but the point is to train often!



How do we train? I think it begins with spanking. Spanking is a dirty word today, but it is neccessary. I've learned that my daughter learns more and is much more obedient when spanking is involved. Sure, it's hard because no one likes to make their own child cry. I can remember my parents once saying "This hurts me more than it hurts you." I thought "Yeah, right!" They really were right. Just remember what is says in Proverbs 23:13. "Do not hold back discipline from the child, although you strike him with the rod, he will not die."

Consistency is vital. Parents shouldn't be divided, but be of the same mind. Plus, training must be the same no matter when the sitution takes place! I've caught myself before sometimes just verbally scolded my daughter for something that I've spanked her for other times. Kids get a mixed message when this happens.

I think consistency is imporant when it comes to involvement in church. I can't remember one time growing up and ever wondering on a Sunday morning, Sunday night, or Wednesday night if we were going to church. It was always a given: this family goes to church. I also remember learning that church events always were above anything else.

Who is involved in this training? Obviously, it starts with the parents. Parents are the ones solely responsibile in raising their children. Not grandparents, not schools, not the church, not the neighbors. I can remember not getting in trouble in school much. When I did, I could only think of one thing: I hope my dad doesn't find out. I wasn't really worried about what the teachers did or what the principal could do. That didn't seem to matter much. What did was the "training" I'd receive at home. I have found that this is a great tool to use at school. All I have to say to a student when there is misbehavior is: "Well, let's see what Mom or Dad thinks."

The next part of this devo will be on the word "up." Look for it in a few days.

I'll close with a discussion question. Does the worldly thought that spanking creates aggressive children really have merit? Does spanking cause children to be violent? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I am not a parent (obviously) but I have seen the benefits of spanking. My brother, sister and I all recieved spankings growing up but we each reacted to them differently. My brother was more defiant where as I felt like I had let my parents down in some way. I do not believe that spanking causes children to be aggressive; so much of that (to me) seems to be determined by the household they grow up in, as well as their own personality. If a child grows up in a home where people are natually more agressive, then I think they will also be this way, regardless of whether they are spanked or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that the same kids that aren't spanked are the ones who can't seem to behave.

    ReplyDelete