Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Flop

Ha ha. Despite the media's endorsement of the gay cowboy picture "Brokeback Mountain," it did not win the Oscar. I didn't bother watching Sunday night after church because I had better things to do. I haven't even seen any of the movies that were up for best picture this year, nor do I have a desire to. There is only one movie that got some kind of recognition this year that I'd like to see and that is "Walk the Line" mainly because of my Mom's recommendation after seeing it on a flight recently.

Anyway, it really didn't shock me when I first saw a preview for "Brokeback Mountain." That's a shame that worldy thinking can easily dull the senses.

Anyone know of a good Christian website that gives good family friendly reviews? I thought I found one through Christianity Today, but it gave "Brokeback Mountain" 3 out of 4 stars. Huh? Maybe I looked at it wrong. I don't really know the creditials for this site anyway.

3 comments:

  1. We watched the Oscars (Seth just wanted to see Brokebake loose). I heard on the news that its ratings were the 2nd lowest it had ever been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kids-in-mind.com gives good reviews for parents--- I don't know who runs it but it will tell you exact numbers of every word of foul language including how many times they use each category of words such as "God" and "Jesus" in derogatory ways. It gives the movies a rating for SEX & NUDITY, one for VIOLENCE & GORE and one for PROFANITY. It will even include when people are dressed inappropriately. Sreenit.com has a similar service and is even more detailed in giving every single swear word down to the number (not categories of cuss words) and rates each movie in 15 different cattegories- from jump scenes, scary music, profanity, smoking, alcohol/drugs, guns and violence. They have recently increased the number of ads on their page and offered a pay site service to get it ad-free... The content is still the best but it's just a little harder to get to- this is the only reason I switched to kids-in-mind.com----- For the most detailed service I would use screen-it.com but for the most user-friendly I would suggest kids-in-mind.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Michael Medved's reviews.

    ReplyDelete